Take Action to Avoid War with Iran
Dear Groundswell Readers,
We have to keep pushing Congress this week if we want to avoid war with Iran.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said recently that the U.K. might join a U.S.-led military effort in the Gulf.
When other nations step up to join the “coalition of the willing” it’s often a bad sign. That can mean that momentum for war is growing. Of course, sending U.S. troops to Saudi Arabia is by itself a dangerous escalation. But if other countries join in it can top the scales.
This week is absolutely critical. Can you take action today?
This is the week that Congressional leaders are expected to decide whether to include legislative language that works to block Trump from going to war in the final National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). The NDAA is considered a “must-pass” bill, very difficult for the president to veto.
Please call your Senators today. It’s an easy and satisfying way to take action in the face of the threat of war. Here’s how:
1) Call the Congressional Switchboard at 202-224-3121
2) Ask for your Senators (or Press 1 and follow the prompts), and when connected to the office say:
“My name is ___________ and I am a constituent living at (your address). I’m calling to urge Senator ___________ to fight to include language that blocks Trump from going to war with Iran as part of the final National Defense Authorization Act. I want the Senator to take bold action to prevent war because recent actions by the Trump administration are increasing the chances for greater conflict.”
3) Ask that the Senator speak out in public statements against a potential war with Iran and against escalations like sending U.S. troops to Saudi Arabia.
4) Please repeat the above steps with your other Senator.
It was your activism that made sure we succeeded in getting the Iran anti-war provision through the House. Now it is crunch time. If we can get the provision into the final bill we can begin to tie Trump’s hands.
Thank you for working tirelessly in the face of threats to peace,
1. Johnson: UK to consider joining US-led military effort in Gulf, Al Jazeera, Sep 23 2019